Travel smart to Magical Maastricht and save money
The end of the year is in sight. We're all looking forward to Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas Day), Christmas, and – of course – Magical Maastricht. Just like in other months, we'll be doing our best to make sure you can travel easily to, from, and within the city and region at this busy time. That's why this year we are offering several promotions that will allow you discounted travel to the centre. This way, we’ll reduce congestion levels for everyone.
Magical Maastricht is from 1 until 31 December, during which we offer a number of promotions for discounted travel to the city centre. How do you travel smart?
Travel by train or bus for €2 at the weekend
During Magical Maastricht weekends – from 1 December 2018 to 30 December 2018 inclusive – visitors from South Limburg can buy a day-return ticket (€2 per person) that is valid on the Arriva train from Sittard and Kerkrade-Heerlen and on bus number 350 from Vaals/Aachen to Maastricht city centre. The €2 day-return ticket can only be bought as an e-ticket via Maastricht Bereikbaar's website. Please also note that this is a limited offer. If you live further away, you can make use of offers on the NS Spoordeelwinkel.
Cheap travel via P+R Noord or Zuid
If you are coming by car, then you can save money by travelling via P+R Maastricht Noord or P+R Maastricht Zuid. Arriva's bus number 10 to the city centre and back departs every fifteen minutes for only €2 per person. It’s convenient, fast, and cheap! Groups of three to five people travel at even greater discounted rates, as they only pay €5 for a day-return ticket. Did you know that parking at P+R Maastricht Noord (North) is always free? From there, you can take a bus, train, or bicycle (your own or one of the shared bicycles). At P+R Maastricht Zuid, you can park for free if you use a day-return ticket to travel by bus. Please refer to the terms and conditions.
Residents travelling by bicycle can win prizes!
If you live in or near Maastricht, cycle to the city and use the city's bicycle parking facilities. This winter makes cycling even more enjoyable, because you can take part in the winter edition of the Heel Maastricht Fietst (Cycling Maastricht) cycling campaign. Doing so means that you are doing something positive for your health as well as giving you a chance to win great prizes. It's really easy to participate by using your own bicycle or by testing one of our e-bikes. If you live in the South Limburg region, the winter cycling campaign will be held in Heerlen in December and January and in Sittard-Geleen in January and February.
Be smart when planning your trip.
No matter how you travel, make sure you are prepared before leaving. Our Smart Map gives a current overview of the roadworks, congestion, number of available spaces in multistorey car parks, and opening times of bicycle parking facilities in the city. Safe travels and enjoy Magical Maastricht!
Tips for parking
- Try to avoid Noorderbrug and John F. Kennedybrug bridges by parking on the side of the Meuse you are coming from. That way, you can avoid delays and congestion.
- It is cheaper to park on the outskirts than in the city centre. You can travel cheaply and quickly from P+R Maastricht Noord (North) or P+R Maastricht Zuid (South) to the city centre.
- Of course, you can also park close to the city. Please look at our Smart Map for information on parking spaces and ticket prices.
- Please visit www.maastrichtbereikbaar.nl/en/car/parking/parking-spaces for up-to-date information on available spaces.
Please note: there will be additional late opening evenings (until 9:00 PM) on 21 and 22 December. You will also have to pay for on-street parking at these times.
- If you want to make sure there's a parking spot for you, you can reserve one in De Colonel, Bassin or Cabergerweg car parks (run by Q-Park). Please visit Q-Park's website to make a reservation.
- Information about parking for coaches and information about parking for camper vans.
Click here to view all the smart travel campaigns and tips for motorists during Magical Maastricht.