From Friday 3 to Sunday 5 July, Friday 10 to Sunday 12 July, and Friday 17 to Sunday 19 July, Vrijthof square will once again be swaying to the sounds of the summer concerts of André Rieu and his Johan Strauss Orchestra. As in previous years, the entire square has been designated as an event site. We would like to inform you about accessibility during the event.
If you are coming by car, you should make sure you set off in good time and make use of our parking tips.
- You can park free of charge at the edge of the city, at P+R Maastricht Noord. From there, you can travel into the city centre with a day return ticket for €2 per person (to bus stop Mosae Forum, and using bus stop Boschstraat/Markt for the return journey). After the concerts, extra buses will run between the city centre and P+R Maastricht Noord until 1:15 AM.
- There are P+W car parks (park and walk), from which you can reach the city centre on foot in ten minutes or less. You can park there for between €6.60 and €9 a day. If you would like to park in the city centre, then please park in the Q-Park multistorey car parks. For an overview of all car parks, please visit the page Parking spaces in Maastricht.
- Our travel tip is to park on the side of the Meuse river that you are coming from to avoid traffic congestion on the Noorderbrug and John F. Kennedybrug bridges over the Meuse.
- You can access the Vrijthof underground car park from any direction until 4:30 PM, after which it can only be accessed from Kommel, Oude Tweebergenpoort, Sint Servaasklooster, and Vagevuur. You can exit in the direction of Henric van Veldekeplein and Bouillonstraat.
- You can book a parking space in advance at some locations. That way, you are guaranteed a parking space and can avoid having to queue at the payment terminal before exiting the car park.
If you are coming by bicycle, you can park your bicycle in the bicycle racks or in the city's bicycle-parking facilities.
- There are free guarded and sheltered bicycle-parking facilities on Markt square, Kesselskade , and at the underground bicycle-parking facility at the main railway station.
- The bicycle parking facility on Kesselskade will be open for longer – until 2:30 AM – on the days of André Rieu's concerts.
- The bicycle parking facility on Markt square is open on Friday and Saturday until 9:30 PM and on Sunday until 7:00 PM (regular opening hours).
- The underground bicycle parking facility will remain open until fifteen minutes after the last train arrival.
- During the concerts, there will be a temporary events’ bicycle parking facility at Keizer Karelplein from Friday morning to Monday morning. Bicycles must be collected before the parking facility is removed.
Removal of bicycles
The municipality will remove all bicycles and mopeds parked on Vrijthof square during the concert days after 4:00 PM. The municipality will store the removed bicycles or mopeds at the Fietsdepot (bike depot), Gerardusweg 39, The depot is open for the collection of removed bikes on Mondays from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM and on Thursdays from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM.
The train is a great way to travel to Maastricht from other parts of the Netherlands as well as from Germany and Belgium. You can also take the bus to and from Maastricht within the Euregio Meuse-Rhine.
Please do bear the following in mind:
- The concerts are expected to end around 12:00 midnight or 12:30 AM. Bear in mind that there will be no public transport or special shuttle bus service after the concert.
- For more information about the timetable for your train or bus, please visit the website of the relevant transport company (Arriva or NS) or see www.9292ov.nl.
The bus stops Vrijthof, Tongersestraat, Markt, Bouillonstraat, St. Pieterstraat, Calvariestraat, Kommel, and Helmstraat will not be in use on the concert days for bus lines 3, 4, 7, 9, and 48. On those days, the buses will travel via Maagdendries, Statensingel, and Hertogsingel. You can get on a bus at Boschstraat/Markt, Tongerseplein, and Koningin Emmaplein.
This route will also apply on Thursday 27 and Friday 28 June from early morning (when buses start running) until 6:00 PM during the construction work in preparation for the concerts.
Markt square will be used as a parking area for coaches. Drivers can have their passengers get off here and get back on board again after the event. View the other locations for getting on and off coaches and the other parking locations.
Markt square will have taxi bays. After the concert, taxis will only be admitted to the theatre side of the Vrijthof at around 2:00 AM.
Traffic measures around Vrijthof square
- During the concerts, Vrijthof square will be closed to all traffic from 4:30 PM (except for the entrance to and exit from Vrijthof car park via Vagevuur).
- The surrounding streets will also be closed to all traffic (except pedestrians) from 4:30 PM. Vrijthof square will be entirely closed from 4:30 PM to 2:00 AM.
- Between 4:30 PM and 12:30 AM, only pedestrians with a ticket, an access pass, or a wristband may enter the square.
Which locations will be cordoned off?
- Cordoned-off zone 1: Junction between Hondstraat and Witmakersstraat/Cortenstraat
- Cordoned-off zone 2: Junction between St. Jacobstraat and Papenstraat
- Cordoned-off zone 3: Junction between Henric van Veldekeplein and St. Servaasklooster (partial cordon with traffic marshal)
- Cordoned-off zone 4: Junction between St. Servaasklooster and Keizer Karelplein
- Cordoned-off zone 5: Junction between Statenstraat and Grote Gracht
- Cordoned-off zone 6: Junction between Helmstraat and Grote Gracht
Traffic marshals will be posted at each cordoned-off location to make sure everything runs smoothly. Local traffic will still be able to use the Witmakersstraat-Kapoenstraat route towards St. Jacobstraat, Papenstraat, Bouillonstraat, or Lenculenstraat.
Other road closures in the centre
During the concerts, the following streets will be closed to traffic from 4:30 PM:
- Platielstraat to Vrijthof square
- Hondstraat at the junction with Witmakersstraat and Cortenstraat
- Bredestraat at the junction with Heggenstraat and Lantaarnstraat
- Keizer Karelplein, at the junction with Oude Tweebergenpoort and Sint Servaasklooster (heading towards Vrijthof)
- Statenstraat, after the rear entrance to the theatre (car park and rear entrance of the old post office will remain accessible via Grote Gracht)
- Helmstraat, at the junction with Grote Gracht Here you can only drive out (not in).
- Between 5:00 PM and 2:00 AM, Calvariestraat, Kommel, Statenstraat, Helmstraat, and Bredestraat must be kept clear for use by emergency services and the police. Any cars still parked at these locations at these times will be removed.
If you have any questions about accessibility, please contact Maastricht Bereikbaar's customer service department on +31 (0)43 799 94 09 send an e-mail to email@example.com. For more information about the concerts, please see www.andrerieu.nl or Maastricht Marketing's website, which lists a number of frequently asked questions and answers.