Shared bikes: an ideal combination with public transport or a P+R
Maastricht is a compact city. You can easily hop on a shared bike to cycle those last kilometres from the station to your final destination. Shared bikes are also a quick, cheap, and eco-friendly way to travel to your destination from one of the low-cost parking locations on the outskirts of the city. Arriva has Nextbikes in nine locations, and the Dutch Railways (NS) hires out ‘OV-fietsen’ (public transport bicycles) at their stations.
Nextbike: the public bicycle sharing system by Arriva
- Arriva's shared bicycles are available at nine locations: Maastricht's main railway station and the Maastricht Randwyck and Maastricht Noord stations, as well as at Mosa Forum, Keizer Karelplein and Vrijthof squares, Boschstraat, Markt (market square), Avenue Céramique, at the Gouvernement building of the government of the Province of Limburg, and at the police station on Prins Bisschopsingel.
- You can easily hire a shared bicycle using a free app for your mobile phone.
- Alternatively, you can take out a subscription for €60 per year, which gives you unlimited access to the shared bicycles for up to thirty minutes per ride. You will pay €1 extra for each subsequent 30 minutes.
- You can also use the Arriva Nextbike bicycle sharing scheme without a subscription. A ride of up to 30 minutes will then cost you €1.50 which you pay with the credit card details linked to the app.
- For more information, visit nextbike.nl.
- The goal is to expand the bicycle-sharing system in Maastricht to include at least 250 bicycles at 25 different locations by 2019.
OV public transport bicycle
At a number of P+R locations, you can use an OV public transport bicycle from a bicycle locker. You can then park your car cheaply or for free and easily travel the last few kilometres to your destination by bicycle.
- You need an 'OV-chipkaart' (public transport pass) if you want to rent an OV public transport bicycle. You can link your OV public transport bicycle subscription to your OV chipkaart for free.
- To use an OV public transport bicycle costs €3.85 per ride for up to 24 hours. If you wish to use the OV public transport bicycle for longer, you pay for an extra rental period for up to 72 hours. After 72 hours, you pay a surcharge of €5 per 24 hours.
- At the Maastricht main railway station, the OV public transport bicycles are kept in the underground bicycle parking facility, which you can reach via the stairs or escalator on Stationsplein square (in front of the railway station).