Traffic situation A2 Maastricht
Since the opening of the Koning Willem-Alexander tunnel in December 2016 the daily routes driven around Maastricht are changed. Pay close attention to the road signs.
Early traffic separation
New road signage means that through traffic toward Eindhoven or Liège (A2) and local and regional traffic (N2) will be separated early at the following locations:
- From Eindhoven and Heerlen/Aachen: just before the Kruisdonk interchange
- From Liège at junction 55 A2 (Randwyck)
This factsheet explains the locations. If you are driving at these locations, be sure to look closely at the road signs both along and above the road. If you follow the signs to your destination, you will automatically be guided to the correct lane.
Follow the road signs to your destination
All directions are indicated on the road signs. Make sure that you know what they mean:
- Maastricht-Centrum Noord: toward the city centre via Noorderbrug (to the north of the city)
- Maastricht-Centrum Zuid: toward the city centre via John F. Kennedybrug (to the south of the city)
- Maastricht-Noord: for the Beatrixhaven industrial estate and the north of the city
- Maastricht-Zuid: for Maastricht University Hospital (azM)/Maastricht UMC+, MECC, and the south of the city
Directions for local traffic
- Traffic from Eindhoven/Heerlen toward Maastricht-Centrum Zuid or Cadier en Keer goes through the N2 tunnel tube and takes exit 54 at the end of the tunnel.
- Traffic from Noorderbrug/Viaductweg and Terblijterweg heading south will pass through the N2 tunnel tube. If you want to go to Maastricht-Centrum Zuid or Cadier en Keer, then exit right at the end of the tunnel and take exit 54. You will arrive on John F. Kennedysingel. If you want to go to Maastricht-Zuid or Liège, then stay on the A2.
- Traffic from the John F. Kennedysingel heading north will take the new slip road to the N2 tunnel tube. For Maastricht-Centrum Noord or Berg en Terblijt, exit right at the end of the tunnel and take exit 53. For Eindhoven and Heerlen stay on the A2.
- Traffic from the John F. Kennedysingel to the A2 toward Liège will take exit 54. Traffic from Liège toward Maastricht Centrum-Zuid and Cadier en Keer can take exit 54 on the A2.
Stay alert and choose the correct direction in good time
- Stay alert – don't drive on 'automatic pilot'.
- Pay close attention to the road signs, and choose the correct direction in good time.
- Be vigilant and alert to what the road users around you are doing.
Go to a2maastricht.nl for extensive information on the opening of the tunnel. You can find more information on the new routes for through traffic and local traffic on www.a2maastricht.nl/rijroutes. We will keep you up to date about accessibility through our newsletter.